Wednesday, February 24, 2010

bearer of weight and good news

I saw the doc today. Didn't want to mention it before because I didn't want to inflate my hopes. I was led in for x rays and let the technician regale me with details of his various (thirteen to be exact) trips to the rose city. He brings the sun, apparently. I kind of believed him as he skipped from my leg to the machine dropping pert observations like confetti. I found an article about time travel in a Discovery magazine that I would like to finish. Then I was led to a room to wait. Still, no expectations.

When the doctor told me that I was healing beautifully, right on schedule and ready for weight, I froze. Weight bearing. A milestone! And something I've been waiting to hear for some time now. I could almost see the expression that was on my face as he quickly ran through my timeline, my new life frame. I don't think these doctors realize how much their words effect me. I hang on, trying to will them to slow so that my body and mind can digest them more fully. They feed me. A slot machine of emotions, I had only minutes to retaliate with intelligent questions. I offered nothing but an open mouth.

It is all laid out before me: 2 weeks walking with crutches and my boot, 2 weeks walking w/o boot and one crutch.... then, as I see fit, eventually walking on my own. I start physical therapy tomorrow. I had been hoping to be walking by mid April. According to the orthopedic, when I see him next, in 6 weeks, my bones will be completely healed and I will be ready for high impact. Meaning running. Running!

It feels so good to put my foot on the floor and press down. The poor thing had deadened a little and lights up with the smallest pressure. It is so.nice. to be stepping forward. I got on the stationary bike for 15 minutes and couldn't help the loud guffaws that escaped. At first, I didn't recognize that they were coming from me. Motion, my most treasured friend, I welcome you back in my life with open arms. This day was important.

2 comments:

  1. your legs are so lucky to be paired with such great heart and mind.

    good luck these next coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete