Sunday, January 24, 2010

one hour at a time













I drew the hermit card which is all about delving
into self-prudence, awareness, loneliness. I'm reading
a book by Natalie Goldberg called "A Long Quiet
Highway." She is a writer and Zen Buddhist whom talks
about the need to be completely present in order to
reach inside yourself to produce writing. I'm working
on being quiet. I sit outside nestled under piles of
fleece in the cold, cold sunny days. I read. Listen to
the birds. Throw a ball (not far) for Millet to fetch.
Of course, I have my lapses. I cry. My leg is
awakening... pins and needles, nerve tinglies and a
dull, aching pain. My knee keeps popping as I shift my
weight to find a comfortable spot and a pocket of sleep.
This worries me a little, but there is no discomfort
accompanying it, just noise.

In the morning, I take vitamins and supplements, sometimes
get a shower aided by my mother, a plastic chair, hand
held shower head and a trash bag taped over my knee-high
cast. I descend the long and steep staircase on my butt-
one step, slowly, then another, leg held ahead of me,
straight and heavy. If I start to chat, my mom stops me.
Focus. Each movement counts. After meals, hospital
ordained exercises, facebook revelry, et al I again
handle the stairs. Going up is a little harder,
especially at the end of a long and listless, yet
exhausting, day.

I am thankful for my strength. It allows me to balance as
I brush my teeth and get up from the floor and back on my
crutches after ass-ascending to bed. My arms carried me-
sideways crutching- down the aisle of an airplane to the
very last row of seats, the ones by the bathroom where
everyone peers at you while they're waiting to pee. I am
worried to lose this strength. As my muscles atrophy,
however, my mental resolve will flourish.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, how are you feeling? It's now 3 days since I had surgery, same break as you although I am a klutz. I never thought I would need surgery and just though ok, cast and crutches and I will be up and around in no time! HA, so much for that. My foot is still throbbing and painful, I don't do much besides go to the bathroom and to the recliner. I go back soon to get the staples removed and regular cast put on instead of this huge bulky splint wrap I have now. Anyway, how are you feeling? Hows your foot? Feel free to email me,Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sweetie. You won't lose your strength, don't worry. As you start physical therapy, you'll also be able to starting rockin' some crunches and upper body workouts too. Just think, by the end of this experience your mind and body will be even stronger than before. :)

    ReplyDelete